The Ducal garden was planned around 1560 by Duke Ottavio Farnese, who created a country house park with a great variety of trees and a large number of citrus shrubs in earthenware pots. The ornamental lake was a later addition. It was subsequently completely redesigned by Petitot and adorned with fine statues. During the reign of Marie-Louise the garden was opened to the public and finally in 1866 passed into the ownership of the city council. Within the park there is a little theatre which puts on shows for children.